Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The Purse of a Retiree Should be BIG

I was watching QVC (I usually don't admit that I love to do that and please don't tell hubby that I get Christmas cards and birthday cards from them!) and they were showing designer purses. I was so shocked to see purses selling for more than the price of our first car! (Of course gas in CA now costs almost as much as our first car!) This inspired me to post on Two Peas and ask if I were the only person left in the world who carried a cheapie purse.

Now in case you are young and spry and far, far away from the world of the retiree, I should tell you that a large purse is very important to a person of the more mature persuasion. There are so many things besides keys and lipstick that are important to our health, happiness and well being. I have found comfort in my local discount stores such as Walmart in always finding both large purses and large readable watches (but that is another story).

I was so surprised at how many women love purses and love expensive purses. I, being one who wants to experience new things, made the plunge and purchased the Dooney and Bourke (RED) bag from QVC. I was surprised that no one seemed to think red was an odd color for a person of my age to choose (and rather happy). We will see just how proud I will be when once it arrives.

Does a person take a red Dooney to church?

More on this later........

Called my daughter to share my news:

ME: I got one of those Dooneys...

DD: You got what?

Me: A Dooney and Bourke

DD: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
It's about time.....only took you 60 years
to buy something nice for yourself...what color....black or navy?

Me: shyly...red...

DD: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL RED MY MY aren't we just getting brave and brazen! Good for you. What does it look likes....sends photos she just happens to have handy on her favorite purse dreaming links...they are small and more conservative....some with tassels, even...

ME: sending the link........

DD: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Now in the airport you can watch your luggage and say....."Be careful of my Dooney and Bourke"

Me: Will the other Dooneys laugh at it because it is from QVC:

DD: A Dooney is a Dooney is a Dooney! Good for you, Mom........what will Dad say?

2 Comments:

Blogger Plateau Princess said...

I do own a purse, but I haven't used it in years.. :p ..and it's a cheapie purse--a Target $8.99 special.. ;) ..but right now, I just carry around the wallet portion from an older cheapie purse in the pocket of a cheapie backpack (a freebie gift from my dad's cheapie wife).. ;) ..hehe..

6:14 PM  
Blogger Robin aka Bookquilter said...

Good for you---

This is one are my mom has always splurged--she gets one new fabulous purse a year and she shops for it for hours. I personally am still using my mini-Jansport which is a purse/diaperbag/honey will you hold this bag/don't forget snacks bag/camera bag.

Congrats for being "bold and brazen"---I say go for what you like.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home